ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2020 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, January 18, 2021

Choosing success

I still believe that Bill Belichick is the greatest NFL coach in history. But the results of this season make it clear that Tom Brady was not successful because of his coach in New England:

Sean Murphy-Bunting is 23 years old, and just 21 months ago he was a second-round pick out of Central Michigan. He spent his rookie year as a reserve corner on Bruce Arians’s first Buccaneers team, a group that hung around a while, but was kept out of the playoffs by consecutive losses to end the season.

In short, he really didn’t know what was coming when Tom Brady became a teammate.

Now, he knows.

“Tom’s not only a superstar, he’s a champion,” Murphy-Bunting said. “So he brings that mentality, that mindset each and every day to work. He’s a true vet and a true professional. And he just brings the excitement and energy out of his guys. He shows up to meetings early, he sits in the front every meeting, he always has his notepad, whether it’s a five-minute team meeting or a 30-minute team meeting.

“His habits are just so good that they rub off on everybody else. It makes everyone want to buy into what he’s doing and how he’s doing it, because of how successful he’s been by doing these things.”

You can't choose to have more talent than the next guy, but you can always choose to work harder than him. Tom Brady has nothing to prove. He has SIX Super Bowl rings. He is the Greatest Of All Time. But one reason why he is the greatest is because he continues to push himself every day, in every meeting, every practice, and every game. 

Labels: ,

73 Comments:

Blogger DudeSweetDudeSweet January 18, 2021 1:43 PM  

Why are we talking about sports ball

Blogger NoobishTitan January 18, 2021 1:45 PM  

We could all do well to have an attitude like that

Blogger Bellomy January 18, 2021 1:45 PM  

Belichick was well known as a genius before Brady, of course. It is not for nothing that his defensive gameplan from the 1990 Super Bowl sits in the HOF.

Blogger Didas Kalos January 18, 2021 1:53 PM  

My comment is 'no comment needed.'

Blogger tuberman January 18, 2021 1:58 PM  

Okay, it's time for a confession. I hadn't been following any NFL since the mid-90's, but I've been following Tampa Bucs all year. And, yeah, it's because of Tom Brady.

Blogger kariseightytwo January 18, 2021 1:58 PM  

Couldn’t have said it any better.

Blogger Pax_Romana January 18, 2021 2:02 PM  

I had jumped on the Tom Brady hate-train a few years ago, but ever since he hit 40 and he kept churning out SB wins...I can't help but respect the man. GOAT, for sure.

Blogger Joe Smith January 18, 2021 2:06 PM  

I have this argument probably more often than I should when some Boomer tries to tell me Joe Montana was better than Tom Brady. I obviously agree Joe Montana was a great quarterback. But Tom Brady is the GOAT.

Blogger FUBARwest January 18, 2021 2:09 PM  

Tom Brady might go down as the best athlete in history if he continues like this for the next three years. Not sure anyone in any sport has had this much success over this long a period combined with the high percentage chance of injury. Kudos to him and may he be an inspiration to everyone striving for greatness.


It's been fascinating to see the media and commentators pounce on this opportunity to rip Belichick this year. Odd decision since Bill has (presumably) more years ahead of him to win again than Brady does.

Blogger SweetieSquad37 January 18, 2021 2:15 PM  

Because the attitude Brady has is one that everyone could learn something from. If you think this post is about sports ball I doubt you actually read past the first sentence and skipped the last paragraph entirely.

Blogger Bryan January 18, 2021 2:16 PM  

@1

> Why are we talking about sports ball

It's gonna get confusing if VD has to start having a post titled "For the retards" every couple of days.

Blogger meanstoreveal January 18, 2021 2:16 PM  

If Tom Brady started doing leadership seminars, or wrote a book, he'd probably make more money from that than his football career.
How could anyone not want to study him? "I didn't come this far to only come this far"

Blogger Mayor Beetlejuice January 18, 2021 2:16 PM  

Bears fan here... I always find myself rooting for Tom Brady in the playoffs. Unsure if it's due to the fact my team is usually out of the mix with a combination of longing to have a "real" qb on the Bears. Or if it's the competitive edge that Brady always brings to the table that holds everyone on his team accountable. This week however, it will be for the reason of rooting against Aaron Rodgers.

Blogger Beloved January 18, 2021 2:18 PM  

Because it's his blog and he can discuss whatever he wants to.

I suspect this falls under the "good" and "true" categories of promoting the best in culture.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan January 18, 2021 2:19 PM  

Pats draft like crap, they have excelled at culling the NFL's scrap pile for underrated white players plus taking a chance on Moss. BB is a great coach but he like most will go out in a blaze of mediocrity then get retired, hopefully more dignified than Laundry or Shula as they flailed about.

Blogger meanstoreveal January 18, 2021 2:19 PM  

If anyone wants to watch an inspiring video about Tom Brady look up "Tom Brady 6"

I remember Vox Day wrote an article about how leaders always have a burning desire that propels them.
Michael Jordan lost a little league basketball game I think? And Tom Brady was picked 6th in the NFL draft and was a 2nd string quarterback throughout high school and college.

Blogger Emmanuel January 18, 2021 2:22 PM  

Twenty years ago, it was common knowledge that this mentality mad ethe difference between legend Michael Jordan and "good player" Clyde Drexler.

Blogger T.L. Ciottoli January 18, 2021 2:24 PM  

No, unfortunately, some people cannot choose to work harder than the next guy. Some of us don't have that freedom. It's assumed in many circles that everyone has this freedom. They do not.

Blogger Karen took the Kids January 18, 2021 2:24 PM  

I've been around people like that professionally (not to the level of Brady obviously) and as mentioned by Murphy, their exceptionalism is contagious. They are almost always involved in the local sports teams too.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

The same can be observed in military literature when reading about Spec Ops (referred to as force multipliers in this instance) who deploy in some remote village in Africa to train the local militia in guerrilla warfare, weapon handling and good comms. After a few weeks these guys are trained clones of their teachers methods.

Amazing what a motivated Alpha can do to a crowd.

Blogger Bryce January 18, 2021 2:28 PM  

If you think that's all this blog post is about, you should probably go back to eating your crayons and leave the rest of us alone.

Blogger Br'er Shaygetz January 18, 2021 2:29 PM  

You mean they still play football?

Blogger Vlad the Impaler January 18, 2021 2:34 PM  

As a Miami Dolphins fan, I used to despise Tom Brady and the Patriots as a kid. Later on, I’ve grown to respect him because of his work ethic which led to his successes. Now, I find myself rooting for him

Blogger Trumpeter January 18, 2021 2:35 PM  

Bill Russell.

Blogger Iceeater January 18, 2021 2:36 PM  

Your point of each man must maximize his God given talents.
Amazing how great bosses tend to stay when they can surround a great man w good men.

When an owner finds that combination he can get very generous with all the long term gains.
BUT It all starts w the talented guy who is relentless. Got to have chicken to have chicken soup- w/o it u have veggie soup ="ugh!


Blogger oldvet1950 January 18, 2021 2:36 PM  

I still to this day maintain that no one man is great at something if he cannot do it by himself. He is only great because a lot of other people can CATCH the ball.

Blogger 351wsl January 18, 2021 2:37 PM  

"You can't choose to have more talent than the next guy, but you can always choose to work harder than him."

This is a succinct quote of something I've tried to teach my kids their whole lives. Well said.

Blogger A.D. January 18, 2021 2:37 PM  

The NFL can go fuck itself. The people who are still watching it, too.

Blogger Joe Smith January 18, 2021 2:44 PM  

@DudeSweetDudeSweet Vox is talking about it because he wants to, and you're sniping like a little bitch because you're a little bitch.

Blogger jadair04 January 18, 2021 2:45 PM  

Leadership by example. Well done Mr. Brady. js

Blogger RoRo71 January 18, 2021 2:49 PM  

Brady is a freakish ageless wonder. Every time he wins a SB you can see him celebrating like a rookie replacement QB who stumbled into the game and accidentally won it. Another ring would not surprise anyone at this point.

Blogger Dex January 18, 2021 2:52 PM  

Tom Brady is the GOAT, even Jennifer Lopez is still one ring shy of Brady's six.

Blogger Student in Blue January 18, 2021 2:52 PM  

Is this pinnacle Alpha behavior being described re: Brady or is it more of a Bravo?

Gut feeling says Alpha but it's in a different flavor than I'm used to just from the description.

Blogger Colonel Blimp January 18, 2021 2:54 PM  

I wonder if this post would even be here if Drew Brees weren't so broken down that he could barely throw 10 feet?? Because the Bucs were utterly dominated even with Saints turnovers until the last 18 minutes of that game. Wasn't even close but Brees is a mortal 42 year old with 11 cracked ribs.

Blogger SirHamster January 18, 2021 2:56 PM  

DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:Why are we talking about sports ball
Cause you need it, loser.

Blogger lowercaseb January 18, 2021 2:59 PM  

“His habits are just so good that they rub off on everybody else. It makes everyone want to buy into what he’s doing and how he’s doing it, because of how successful he’s been by doing these things.”

I've had the privilege of working with folks like this in the corporate world and what he says is 100% true. These folks not only succeed, but they make everyone around them succeed by their presence. We all caught the energy and pushed ourselves in our own roles.

This is the type of world, I would fight to achieve.

Blogger grizzled1 January 18, 2021 3:02 PM  

My takeaway: To be successful in the long-run, you must be found faithful in the small, every-day things. TB is not the first to prove this, but he is a good contemporary example of it.

Blogger Dan in Georgia January 18, 2021 3:03 PM  

DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:Why are we talking about sports ball

This is what what happens when you ban bullying.

Blogger Rough Carrigan January 18, 2021 3:04 PM  

It was the two of them together that made the team great.
There are people saying "Ha, see! This proves that Brady was more responsible for the team being great. But Brady went to a team that had a very good roster but just needed a quarterback. And they did very well. Belichick took a team with one of the worst quarterbacks in the league (that's not hyperbole but demonstrably true by the stats) and got 7 wins out of it. They beat the Ravens and nearly beat the Chiefs. It was always both Belichick and Brady that made the team great. And the way that they guy is describing Brady behaving is generally what Belichick demands of all his guys.

Blogger Anthony C January 18, 2021 3:05 PM  

Brady is also making a strong compelling case that he did not participate directly in the cheating scandals by the New England Patriots that tainted 3-4 superbowls. Deflategate, Signal Stealing Gate, Video Taping Gate. He is making the case with 2 playoff wins in Tampa Bay that the cheating came from above him in New England.

Blogger tool January 18, 2021 3:07 PM  

And he does that besides the stupid "training" the NFL approaches to their athletes. Flipping around with "functional" training isn't training, it's exercise. He could be a heck of a lot better, if somebody really trained him. That makes him even more outstanding.

Blogger Coroña DeNier January 18, 2021 3:11 PM  

Brady IS the hard-out.

Blogger Gettimothy January 18, 2021 3:16 PM  

Another virtue he possesses is his genuine affection for his teammates. In his latest press conference on buccaneers.com, he not only praises his offensive line, but names one player with obvious respect. He is not a "golden boy", he is a trench guy.

You watch (on buccaneers.com, not t.v....and highlight reels are not videos...), you see the progression of the offense up to his standards of performance. They are now in a virtuous feedback cycle where the team clearly enjoys the hard work of excellence. This team was humiliated by Drew Brees in their second seasonal game with them, but by the fourth quarter of this playoff, the Saints where clearly demoralized. They were supposed to win, and they flat out got beat.

Also, I am very impressed by Brady's play-action fundamentals and a play that they turn to to kill blitzes...I call it an inside screen, or "blitz, this, bitch" . Very quick pass to back or receiver behind the tight end, who then runs inside to where the blitzing linebackers where.

Gotta mention the bucs linebacker who picked two on Brees. He plays a mean physical game, throwing would be tacklers into the turf. I figure Arians' Steelers instincts are what got the team that man.

Bucs in Lambeaugh in the winter has been historically tough on us; weather, weather, weather.

This offense under Brady feels like the Bucs defense under Monty Kiffin when they first started to emerge as one of the all-time great defences.

Blogger Avalon John January 18, 2021 3:22 PM  

Spot the fag.

Blogger Yukichi Sensei January 18, 2021 3:25 PM  

This is why sports are good. The lessons we learn as men by hard fought sports is timeless.

Blogger SciVo January 18, 2021 3:32 PM  

@DudeSweetDudeSweet:

I am automatically suspicious of any coworker that has never played team sports. I can be sure that it will not come naturally for them to accommodate others' plans, let alone set them up for success; and they might even be literally incapable.

I am automatically suspicious of potential friends that have never even played a solo sport like running, because the body is the sea that the brain swims in, and a soft limp wiener of a man is likely to be as unhealthy in mind as he looks.

I am automatically suspicious of any potential leader that has never boxed, never studied martial arts, and never even played a particularly rough sport such as rugby or hockey; because a man who has never been punched in the face is a man who doesn't truly grok his mortality. So he doesn't know when to give a competitor due respect, and he doesn't appreciate the sacrifices made by those under him.

Blogger VD January 18, 2021 3:36 PM  

Why are we talking about sports ball

Why are you gay? You are gay!

Anonymous Anonymous January 18, 2021 3:36 PM  

All Tom Brady does is win. Period. He doesn't look flashy or sexy doing it. He just does it.

Blogger derek January 18, 2021 3:37 PM  

This is the characteristic of all winners in every sphere. Hard work, every day, every time. Throw in some natural skill, and they become unbeatable. And they get a following that is inspired to do the same thing.

Blogger lowercaseb January 18, 2021 3:44 PM  

DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:Why are we talking about sports ball

Let's measure our responses. Without folks like this, the fedora industry would collapse overnight.

Blogger Kingkong January 18, 2021 3:45 PM  

Wish Belichek didn't coward out when offered the medal of freedom by Trump though. So annoying how many fully grown men in the NFL cry when a teammate or coach simply acknowledge that their country is great or they support the president.

Blogger tuberman January 18, 2021 3:48 PM  

>> The NFL can go fuck itself. The people who are still watching it, too.

This is NOT about the NFL, it IS about Hard Work, leading to excellence, and influencing others to excellence. Stupid.

Blogger Homesteader January 18, 2021 3:51 PM  

Funny; the gamma.

Sports hammer home the importance of character, leadership, courage, and teamwork; in that, they are the peacetime proxy of war. That is, they both mold character, and reveal it on the field of strife.

The game is never just about the game.

Playing fields of Eton, and all that.

Blogger Beloved January 18, 2021 4:16 PM  

"Work harder" is about mastering the fundamentals. When you look at a Champion someone like Michael Jordan or Tom Brady you see the results of someone who paid great attention to perfecting the minor details.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dwcOEYg4DOI

Anyone can do this. It's not about time or resources. It's about fundamentals. Like Tom Brady showing up early and taking notes. Being the first in and the last out. Taking every advantage you can.

Anyone can do this.

Blogger SecondComingOfBast January 18, 2021 4:16 PM  

Then again, Eli Manning beat him two times.

Blogger Pirate January 18, 2021 4:45 PM  

Sorry, but I'm busy watching the 'Turd Burglars' episode of South Park right now and can't give a proper comment.

Blogger Rough Carrigan January 18, 2021 4:47 PM  

#50. Did Belichick say why he turned it down?
Because if he turned it down because "Jeez, I'm just a football coach. We don't deserve honors like that." then I'd respect him even more.

Blogger Colonel Blimp January 18, 2021 5:02 PM  

Essentially never trust a man that hasn't been punched in the face, served a post in a real conbat zone, or had to break rocks at a tough job to pay the bills.

We are not in an eternal struggle with blacks, commies, or even the rich, we are engaged with foppish ninnies who have never known struggle so cannot accept anything other than whatever fantasies they think are right.

Our war us with mostly white nerdlings and spoiled children who don't understand anything about life so constantly make egregious errors that profoundly impact everyone else, while their unearned wealth or position insulates them from the consequencws of their decisions.

Blogger Colonel Blimp January 18, 2021 5:06 PM  

To be fair to him and I'm not a fan of his, the timing of this award is terrible. To everyone else it would be viewed as a trivial award guven by a lame duck Trump to one of the few people who were decent to him. Receiving an award should not add 60000 times more stress to your life.

Blogger M In The 517 January 18, 2021 5:12 PM  

Because you touch yourself at night.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother January 18, 2021 6:34 PM  

Fags plural

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother January 18, 2021 6:36 PM  

Where Waterloo was won

Blogger jimdhill January 18, 2021 8:17 PM  

6th round*

Blogger jimdhill January 18, 2021 8:18 PM  

You seem like you are fun at parties.

Blogger Shane Bradman January 18, 2021 9:13 PM  

Belichik understands the weight of letting Brady go, but Brady is old and won't last forever, so it's time for him to breed new talent. Belichik's consistency is what puts him above flash in the pan coaches. There's luck involved in winning a Super Bowl, but winning as many as the Patriots have is nothing short of genius.

Blogger Jack Amok January 18, 2021 9:18 PM  

Brady is also making a strong compelling case that he did not participate directly in the cheating scandals by the New England Patriots that tainted 3-4 superbowls.

I always thought deflategate was Belichick. There wasn't much advantage for Brady to have under-inflated balls (go ahead, snicker, I agree it's impossible not to), there was a huge advantage for the running backs not fumbling. Fumbles on the Pats while deflategate was in full swing were oddly low. A statistical improbability even, if such things were, y'know, real.

If I had to guess, I'd guess it was Darth Hoodie who ordered the footballs under-inflated so his RBs could hold onto the ball better, and the Pats (and the league) threw Brady half under the bus to protect Belichick because he'd already gotten nailed in Spygate, and two cheating scandals would be hard to sweep under the rug at HOF induction time.

Blogger Jack Amok January 18, 2021 9:20 PM  

Why are we talking about sports ball

Do you know that using that phrase is physically impossible if you have a normal male testosterone count?

Blogger cyrus83 January 18, 2021 9:36 PM  

Brady has been a thorn in the side for nearly 2 decades, but it was impossible to deny his greatness on the field. I always figured he worked hard at it, I can't help but respect a guy who is still all in after 20 years despite having more rings than anyone else has appearances in the title game.

Don't get me wrong, I think having the Hoodie as a coach was a plus for most of Brady's career, but not to the point where he wouldn't have won titles without him.

Anonymous Anonymous January 18, 2021 10:48 PM  

If only Tampa Bay had kept Doug Williams all those years ago. The man had the heart of a Lion.....

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants January 18, 2021 11:41 PM  

The ghost of Bear Bryant is coming for ya, Vox. :D

Blogger bw January 19, 2021 5:04 PM  

69 comments...

workin it

Blogger bw January 19, 2021 5:08 PM  

Greatest Ever?
Most Rings is Metric (masonic Metric system numbers...blah blah crazy nut jobz)
The Teams and Coaches and Era of "the Greatest" has to be considered.

Fun exercise: put Marino on any of dominant teams of last 45 yrs?
Real run game, etc...
Hey Pittsburgh...that draft...where were you?

The Financial Elites are like the best golfers...able to recover from their failed shit to make par

Blogger bw January 19, 2021 5:10 PM  

ghost of Bear Bryant

bring on the mixing...helluva legend from A&M

Blogger bw January 19, 2021 5:11 PM  

If only Tampa Bay had kept Doug Williams all those years ago. The man had the heart of a Lion.....

sweet fuk me...
vs Steve Young?

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts